Friday, January 9, 2015

Staying The Course When You Feel Down

I can't help it. When I start feeling down, nothing makes me feel better (and then worse) quite like sugar. My preference, of course, is chocolate. The creamier and richer, the better - and milk over dark for moments like this. Bonus points if it includes caramel, toffee or peanut butter. Yup, nothing helps me wallow quite like chocolate. Although, Haribo gummy bears are a nice stand-in if I can't find chocolate. I can sit down and eat a whole bag of those in no time flat when I am feeling down.

This is not a good thing! I do not know why my body wants nothing but sugar when I am feeling in the dumps with life. But, it does. And when I give in to those urges I do feel better for a moment. Then I feel about about all of those calories. Then I get a craving for more sugar and the cycle starts all over again. It's like hamster wheel of feeling down and medicating with the yummy goodness of sugar.

So, what's a girl to do when trying to stay on a healthy meal plan and this sort of sugar demon strikes? I admit, I did give into it and have some chocolate. Then I realized what I was doing and I stopped it. So, what else can give the body a euphoric high that will prevent me from mindlessly eating chocolate? Well, I can only think of two things - exercise and orgasms. And the good news is that you can do both by yourself and you don't really need any equipment for either! lol

For my sinking feeling, I decided to try some exercise since I am working on getting fit anyways and I had not done any working out that day or the day before. I really had no interest in working out since I just wanted to drown my sorrows in some milk chocolate and peanut butter. But alas, I forced myself to give it a shot. Guess what? About a half hour of working out led to a bit of a boost in my mood and I was no longer craving that chocolate!

So, the next time that a case of sadness threatens to derail your healthy eating plan by tempting you with chocolates and other sugary goodness - try about a half hour of exercise (or the orgasm!). That should get you back on track and keep the chocolate safe for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment